News: SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: X1 (5th Gen) safe mode with WiFi  (Read 24 times)

Offline Donnieclark

X1 (5th Gen) safe mode with WiFi
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:40:28 AM »
Hii...

I am having issues with the WiFi performance on my X1 (5th Gen).  For a while it has shown long latency and bad download speeds.  I am basically comparing it to an HP EliteBook 8440p with the same software (Windows 10), obviously connected to the same network, on Chrome, and via Speedtest.net.  The EliteBook 8440p (6-8 year old computer) blows the new X1 out of the water.  It has double the throughput in download and upload speeds.  The performance is 20 mbps upload and download for X1 vs. 45 mbps for EliteBook.

I was thinking there might be some background process taking up some network capability, but there is none.  And, it would have to be a HUGE network consumption to account for such a difference.  I tried updating the WiFi driver and that seemed to help a little (up to 30 mbps), but still lacking.

So, I was trying to start in safe mode with networking and see what happened on a speed test.  Unfortunately, this is impossible because the WiFi is not enabled in Safe Mode with networking.  This is absurd but that is how it is.  When I check in Device Manager (in control panels), I see the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 is not functioning property and I can't get it to start, presumably because of some restriction by Windows Safe Mode.

Thanks..!

For More Details:

intro videos